Eye examinations are essential to preserving your vision. We recommend seniors have their eyes examined every year. This allows us to ensure any prescriptions are up to date and to monitor the overall health of your eyes.
Eye Exams for Senior Citizens Are Extremely Thorough
- Age Increases Risk – Age influences the probability of many diseases. We use our advanced technology to screen for any signs of disease and thoroughly examine the health of your eyes.
- High Tech – Our office invests in the latest technology to ensure we have a thorough view of the retina and overall eye health which alerts us to any changes we need to investigate.
- Seniors Eye Exams Involve Dilation – Dilating your eyes allows us to see all of the internal structures of the eye. While it does mean that your vision will be temporarily blurred for 2-4 hours, it is the best way to ensure a thorough examination of your eyes.
Note: the MSP provides financial assistance for eye care services for senior citizens. Call our eye doctor in Sidney to learn more.
Common Eye Diseases For Which Seniors are at Risk
- Cataracts – Cataracts impact vision and are a leading cause of vision impairment. Vision can be restored via a relatively routine surgery. Learn more about cataracts.
- Macular Degeneration – Also known as age-related macular degeneration, this disease can cause significant impairment in your central vision. Opaque protein deposits called drusen form on and under the retina, obscuring and distorting vision. There can also be leaking or bleeding from new blood vessels that requires prompt attention. Learn more about AMD.
- Glaucoma – Glaucoma can lead to complete blindness if neglected. This disease typically presents with no symptoms as it slowly reduces peripheral vision. Without proper diagnosis, glaucoma can cause significant and permanent visual impairment. Learn more about glaucoma.